July 5, 2010

Lime Cake with Blackberry Sauce

Lime Cake with Blackberry Sauce
This is a great everyday cake. It's just a tall single layer cake that you mix by hand. You can make it a lemon or orange cake as well. Cover it with a blackberry sauce, or use strawberries, peaches- whatever fruit you have handy. Or just dust a little powdered sugar over the top and eat it plain. I love it for breakfast.
Lime Cake
Preheat oven to 350
Place rack in center of oven
Lightly grease the bottom and sides of a 9 inch springform pan
or 9 inch round cake pan
Line bottom of pan with parchment if not a springform pan
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together
1 cup sour cream, room temperature
(or use whole milk plain unsweetened yogurt)
1/3 cup vegetable oil (I used Wesson oil)
1 cup sugar
Zest of one lime 
 (I used 1/2 teaspoon lime citrus oil instead)
1/4 cup lime juice (approx 5 limes)
Add 2 eggs, room temperature 
Whisk eggs to break up before adding to other ingredients
In a separate bowl whisk together
1-2/3 cups flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
Dump flour mixture right on top of the sour cream batter
Stir with a spoon until just combined.
Pour batter into prepared cake pan
Bake 40-45 minutes until golden brown
(I baked mine at 350 for 10 minutes then at 325 for 35 minutes)
A toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake should come out clean
Transfer to a cooling rack for 10 minutes
Run a knife around the pan to loosen.
Unclasp sides of the springform pan if you used one
Otherwise flip the cake onto a plate and flip it back on the rack
 Dust with powdered sugar
Blackberry Sauce
Place into a blender or food processor (I used a blender)
12-16 oz of rinsed blackberries
1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
(I omitted the lime juice)
4 Tablespoons water (I used 3 Tablespoons)
3 Tablespoons sugar (I used 10 Tablespoons)
Start with 3 Tablespoons of sugar
Puree until very smooth
Then after it's pureed taste and add more sugar as needed.
I used really sour blackberries that took a lot of sugar
 Place a fine strainer over a bowl
Press puree through strainer to remove seeds.
Cover and refrigerate until cold.
Enjoy!

Print

3 comments:

  1. looks fabulous would drink that sauce before it hit that gorgeous pie! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes a simple cake is just perfect, isn't it? I love the lime oil!!! I need to pick some up post haste. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cake looks wonderful! This is my kind of homey dessert. I don't think I've ever combined lime and blackberries, but I bet it tastes divine. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please let me know what you think.